Meet your Principal
Hello Super Stars,
As the summer winds down, we are eagerly anticipating the first day of school! We are looking forward to seeing all of our students, and would like to take a moment to remind St. Helens Elementary School’s families that school starts on Wednesday, August 30th, 2017. Our offices will be open prior to this, beginning on Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017. Class lists will be available the morning of August 29th, and our “greet the teacher” is that afternoon from 12-1pm.
In order to ensure that our students are prepared to learn and engage on their first day back, we ask that parents and families would send students to school with the proper supplies and tools. A list of school supplies our students will need can be found here.
Attending school has a huge impact on student success. This year we want to make sure every student misses no more than 9 days of school, or 1 day a month. We need your help to bring down the absences this coming year!
Some Attendance Tips to Promote Student Learning:
- Make sure your students keep a regular bedtime and establish a morning routine so they are rested and alert when they get to school.
- Turn off all electronics including TVs, phones and tablets at bedtime.
- Make sure clothes and pack backpacks are ready the night before.
- Check with our school nurse or office staff if you are not sure about when to keep your child at home due to illness.
- Avoid scheduling vacations or doctor’s appointments when school is in session.
- Talk to teachers and counselors for advice if your student feel anxious about going to school.
- Develop back up plans for getting to school if something comes up. Call on a family member, neighbor, or another parent to take your student to school.
Please let us know how we can best support you and your student so that they can show up for school on time, every day.
Students reading everyday has been linked to later success in a child’s educational career. We strive to meet that requirement at school, and need your help! Visiting the library is a great family outing, and it helps your student to develop quality habits as a learner. Visit the Longview Public Library before school begins!
We are excited to see everyone soon! St. Helen’s is a great place to learn and grow.
Go, Super Stars!
Megan Shea-Bates, Principal
We take pride in being a team: together we build winners.
We expect everyone will treat each other with respect and kindness and will do their best every day.